Crispi Blog 9

http://ehis.ebscohost.com/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=12&sid=793308a2-e17c-4234-b151-66901ce9f425%40sessionmgr12&hid=120

I chose to take a very conventional route when it came to this assignment. When I thought of the word “protest” I could not help but think about the Westboro Babtist Church and their notorious actions throughout the years and their infamous reputation for protesting in the most bizarre ways, and often sparking major conflict in communities. They make national headlines for their outlandish actions and I chose their Protest of the Golden Globes last year as an example of their behaviors.

In last years Golden Globes, the Westboro Baptist Church chose to hold a public protest because of a rising national conflict in how homosexuality is portrayed in the media. Westboro baptist church is a very twisted organization that has insanely disgusting viewpoints and their hatred for gays indirectly causes them to protest many events including the Sandy Hook shooting funerals, Arizona shooting victims, and more. They are  even denounced by the Ku Klux Klan. In this case, they picketed the Award ceremony because they believe that “popular movies and TV shows push the homosexual agenda, and that these awards shows further glorify it.” The signs they used were very offensive and downright insane.

I personally do not endorse or support gay marriage. I am a Catholic and we do not believe that. However I believe it is very wrong what Westboro does when they protest funerals and they are downright tasteless and everyone in their organization is out of their mind and the “church” deserves to lose that title and be known as a cult organization. Protesting the Golden Globes for the purpose of homosexuality is so out of line and I believe that in the future, with groups such as “Anonymous” fighting them back, we will see this organization and these protests come to an end in the near future.

This entry was posted in Blog 9 "Kings & Leaders" (Jan 16-17). Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

4 Comments

1. Posted January 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

I agree with what you said here. I like how you realize how disgusting this church is with there actions against gay marriage even though you personally do not condone or support gay marriage yourself.

2. Posted January 17, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

I feel that the best way to describe your post is “fair.” I really believe that you gave a sensible analysis of this groups crazy actions. I too am against gay marriage; however, I feel that this group has taken it way too far. They are still humans and deserve a chance at life too!

3. Posted January 17, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

I really like the way you analyzed this controversial story. Although you are against gay marriage, it is good you kept an unbiased opinion to see the horrible actions of this church.

4. Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Something that many, many people in this world have trouble doing is making unbiased opinions, or acknowledging the other side of a debate. You presented this information in a very unbiased way. Regardless of your view on gay marriage, mostly everyone agrees on the problem with the church’s approach.