benjaminsummers post 9

dek

One of the more recent protests that came to mine was the Occupy Wall Street protest.  The people who played a part in this protest believe that the current economy was treating them unjustly.  The protest was against economic inequality and corporate greed.  The movement began in September and I think is still going, but with much less media coverage than it did when it started.  This is where the “We are the 99%” chant started, which shows that class warfare is part of this movement.  The protestors feel that they are being cheated, economically, by big businesses.  They also believe that the bankers and finance industries do not properly represent them.  The protestors further believe that what is beneficial for Wall Street is not in the best interest for the country.  Part of the belief of the movement is also that the large corporations have too much sway on the politicians, which is said to causes economic inequality.

When I look at this movement, I see a lot of people who are not happy about the current economic system and their place in it.  The people who are part of the movement want something done that will change the status quo.  I also see some areas that are illogical; one of these is the demand for the minimum wage to be $20 and hour.  That kind of demand will never happen and took away from the power of the movement.

http://relooney.fatcow.com/0_New_11478.pdf

This entry was posted in Blog 9 "Kings & Leaders" (Jan 16-17). Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted January 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

I found this protest to be confusing. I think that some of the things being protested just didn’t make any sense because it’s hard to understand what would actually make the economy better. At the same time I understand why people are unhappy and feel they are being ignored.