Dwarrick Blog 8

My friends and I have talked about the topic of if America was ever to be invaded, what our actions would be. We all own multiple weapons, and came to the agreement that we would in fact use them if, for example, Al Qaeda was walking down our streets with intent to defeat our country or those who fight for it. I am sure the circumstances would be different, but my point is this is how people in Iraq feel about our troops invading their country. We see them as terrorists; who is to say they do not see us as terrorists. It has to do largely with our beliefs and what we think is right and wrong. William Wallace from Braveheart is portrayed as a courageous hero who fought for Scotland, but if you lived happily under the king’s rule, you might hear his stories about killing many of your soldiers and think he was a terrorist. I believe a terrorist is someone who does not just fight for what they believe in, but do what is not morally right. Striking fear into people who mean no harm or have no ill effect on others is not justified is the only difference between a hero and a terrorist. Heroes fight for fairness, equality, right, righteousness, and justice in a way that is morally right, and not hurt those who do not wish to jeopardize their own beliefs.

This entry was posted in Blog 8 (Jan 15) Terrorists? Outlaw? Justice?. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

5 Comments

1. Posted January 15, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

I like your point about terrorism in respect to the person’s point of view. I agree that there are 2 sides to every conflict and you can expect the opposing sides to have opposite opinions.

2. Posted January 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

This just further proves the difficulty in saying someone is terrorist because it is honestly all in the eye’s of the individual. It is a subjective title put into action by the ruling government. They could be a hero to some and a terrorist to others.

3. Posted January 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

I agree completely that one’s point of view distinguishes the line of what is wrong or right and in this case who is wrong and dangerous or not. I also liked how you clarified the differences in the actions of a hero and a terrorist. Good post!

4. Posted January 15, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

This was a good post, i feel like the aspect of what is considered “terrorism” depends on the culture and the point of view from the person. There is no clear right or wrong answer because everyone has different thought process.

5. Posted January 15, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

I totally agree that point of view has a lot to do with the deffinition of terrorism and in some cases even the term justice. I also like the comparisons between a hero and a terrorist.