Dwarrick Blog 7

I chose to write about an older war hero from World War Two, one that is not necessarily famous for his heroic actions. James McNiece, Jake, was part of the 101st Airborne who jumped behind enemy lines. Their job was to destroy bridges supplying German troops attempting to hold off the beach from United States infantry.  The mission was basically a suicide mission, but Jake and the 101st bravely went in, and succeeded in their mission. Jake said only three men survived in his group. To this day he is one of a small group of veterans from WWII, and he has been greatly rewarded for his actions. He managed to survive three other missions which also put him behind enemy lines. I enjoyed reading the article because Jake was an optimistic man who was a bit of a trouble maker, but made more trouble for the enemy in the end.

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/War-Hero–Sunday-At-10-178159281.html

I am sure if you ask Jake he would be modest and say he is no hero, and he was just doing what he was ordered, and that is truly what makes a hero a hero to me.  Back then, young men had to serve in the army whether or not they wanted to due to the lack of volunteering. Some will say that this is wrong and nobody should be asked to possibly lose their life for their country, but I believe in freedom, and our country. I most certainly would not want to ever have to be drafted, but I would follow in the footsteps of the heroes who gave us freedom. I would much rather not see war at all. Times have changed. We should be able to handle our problems with other countries by communicating, but I understand that does not always work. I support our country in our decision to fight for what is ours, and I am grateful that there are so many brave soldiers who do as they are told with pride and courage without being forced to be in the army. All of these men are true heroes.

This entry was posted in Blog 7 (Jan 14) SOLDIERS. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted January 15, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

I agree with you, to make the ultimate sacrifice to draft yourself and know that the chances of losing your life are high but you do it for your country, the greater good, it truly makes you a hero, especially back then when military strategies where somewhat not as developed and chances of dying where higher than now.