Whitehead Blog 7

Dillon Pelfrey, Sterling Jones, and Andy Whitehead

Dillon and Sterling are friends of mine and Andy is my cousin.  All three of them are in the Army and, Dillon and Sterling has served in Afghanistan.  They do not have a particular famous heroic type story, however I believe these men to be true heroes in every sense of the word.  I have a lot of friends in the armed forces and several of which have served in Iraq and/or Afghanistan, however I connect best with these three gentlemen.

First, I will begin with my cousin Andy.  He went to college and got his degree, however he had always wanted to join.  Almost joining the army twice before, this December he officially enlisted.  He is in his mid-20’s and just now enlisted.  He is aware that initially he will be spending and training with all newly enlisted 18 year olds, however he feels honored to do so.  My family is somewhat of a military based one on that side so this news came with great joy when he officially announced it at our family Christmas party.  He plans to attempt to gain entry into Special Forces, however as he told us this has an 80% failure rate, so he is prepared to do other things within the army.  He is a hero because he is truly chasing his dream and serving his country.  Even after several years of possible enlistment, he eventually accepted his dream and is now going for it.

The other two gentlemen have both served over seas.  Dillon was a member of my baseball team in High School.  He had a great deal of raw talent, but had tons of energy and was quite aggressive at times.  Eventually he went onto to college to play baseball.  However, like Andy, his true dream was to be in the Army.  After his first of school he joined and was sent overseas very quickly.  I was able to see him over break and some of the things he said would shock everyone.  We attempted to keep the mood happy and not talk about it, but naturally something’s came up and you could see how they still affected him.  Dillon, like Pat Tillman, gave up his athletic career to serve his country.  Sterling is an Infantry Medic in the army, meaning he is the company medic out there on the frontlines with the soldiers.  I was worked in a factor with Sterling over the summer with him side by side for several months.  The stories and truths he told me still shock me; and once again you could see how such experiences affected him.

Like I said these men don’t have the famous and publicized stories, however, all of them are heroes without question.

This entry was posted in Blog 7 (Jan 14) SOLDIERS. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted January 14, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

This is a very good post mister David. I like how you got to learn of the stories of overseas. I bet they were graphic but probably compelling stories.