Aly Quintana Blog #7

As a child, I used to think a hero was a person with super powers used to help people in need. Although I have gotten a little older and know the difference between fantasy and reality, my idea of the super hero is not much different. What has changed is my definition of super powers. What qualities are so selfless and courageous that would be like that of a super hero… a soldier, of course. Not too long ago, I recall reading about a soldier who exemplified my vision of a true super hero, Sgt. Dennis P. Weichel Jr.

Sgt. Dennis P. Weichel Jr. gave his life for an Afghan child on March 22, 2012.  While on duty in Afghanistan, their troops came across a group of children on the road. Weichel was among the soldiers who were trying to lead the children to safety so that the army vehicle could pass when a child attempted to retrieve an item from underneath a U.S. Army mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicle, known as an MRAP. As Weichel quickly moved her to safety, he was struck by the MRAP in the process. Having gone back to the Soldier’s creed, I find various promises a soldier makes; among which are: to place the mission first, serve the people of the US and be a guardian of freedom and the American way. Agt Weichel’s actions were above and beyond what he promised in the Soldier’s creed; possessing truly super hero qualities. 

Below is the link to the story.

http://jonathanturley.org/2012/03/30/sgt-dennis-weichel-american-hero/

This entry was posted in Blog 7 (Jan 14) SOLDIERS. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

2 Comments

1. Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

I really liked how you talked about how your ideas about super powers changed, instead of super heroes. This shows your own progression as a thinker. I couldn’t agree more with you that this Sergeant was an absolute hero and that he possessed super hero qualities.

2. Posted January 14, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

a lot of people have picked him , what an honorable man! A true hero.