ARiesett Blog 5 Film Character

In the 2012 film The Odd Life of Timothy Green, Timothy Green (CJ Adams) is an interesting character. He was created by a thunderstorm during a drought in Cindy and Jim Greens garden in their backyard. Cindy and Jim Green are unable to have children, so they dream of their ideal child and list his characteristics. They put this list in a box and bury it in their garden. Timothy impacts their lives and encourages them to consider adoption.

Timothy is the protagonist in the film narrative whose main purpose is to be the temporary son of Cindy and Jim Green. He also adds comic relief to the narrative through his childish innocence. It is hard for the audience not to be empathetic to Timothy. Timothy is unique in that he has leafs on his legs since he grew from the garden. He is a noble boy with a good heart and a good sense of humor. He never gives up and is truthful to a fault. He also is a glass half full person and is talented like Picasso with a pencil. He is Cindy and Jim’s perfect child.  Every time Timothy expresses his characteristics, the same ones his parents wrote in the box, he loses a leaf from his leg and he changes with the seasons, which is why he is a temporary character.   His main goal in the narrative is to convince his parents to adopt a child and he achieves this in the end once he leaves them.

This entry was posted in Blog 5 (Jan 10) Fave Film Character. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 10, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

I haven’t seen this movie, but I have really wanted to. Reading your character analysis paints a clear picture of what a sweet boy Timothy was and serves as motivation for me to see the film. Thank you!

2. Posted January 10, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

This movie is so sweet and very touching! I think Timothy is indeed a very interesting character and his brief life has many funny stories and sad moments. Overall, I would say he left the Green couple much more ready for adoption and their future! Good post!

3. Posted January 10, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

At first I did not think I would like this movie but once I saw it, it was one of the most heart touching movies I have seen. Timothy is a very interesting and sweet characters. This is a movie that makes you feel good after watching it. I think this is an awesome choice of film!