Whitehead Blog 4

Throughout our conversation of Beowulf, personally I think Beowulf is both.  He began as a Saxon, solely focused upon his life and his own reputation.  He had no fear of death and was only concerned with himself.  However, as the story continues, it is clear that he along with the story, become increasingly Christian.  He makes references to the fact that he aware of his death and that no man is immortal.  He distributes his wealth and repents for some earlier actions in his life.

It is through this that I believe that he is a Christian.  Not only for his transformation later in the story, but because he fears no evil.  It is known that Christians don’t fear evil, as referenced by the biblical passage “thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil…” Outside of the entire story being about his lack of fear for death somewhat the passage before he enters Grendel’s mother waters truly shows his lack of fear: “Beowulf got ready, donned his war-gear, indifferent to death” Lines 1442-1444.

This entry was posted in Blog 4 (Jan 8-9) Team Saxon? Team Saint?. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

5 Comments

1. Posted January 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

I agree that Beowulf is christian. You raise a very interesting point about he fears no death but also realizing that he knows he will die at some point, which are both very christian beliefs and recurring themes in the bible.

2. Posted January 9, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I love the picture you chose! I agree that Beowulf is a Christian. I really liked how you referenced the Bible when you were talking about how he fears no evil. That is a great way to incorporate other evidence and prove your point.

3. Posted January 9, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Beowulf has to be a christian to refer to God after every battle he wins. I also love that he has no fear for anything because if you believe that Christ is with you then you should fear anything.

4. Posted January 9, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

I think this is a great point. I wonder if he does not fear death because his faith in G-d is so strong that he assumes he will go to heaven simply because of his belief. Did he fear death when he was less religious?

5. Posted January 9, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

I like how Beowulf does not fear evil. I also like how he references God to help him throughout his problems. You make a great case for both.