EClausen Heroes Blog 4

Looking at Beowulf I believe he is a Pagan. Although there are signs that point to him being a Christian I think that the most obvious sign is that Beowulf believes in theses mystical creatures. Paganism today can be classified by whethere a person believes in Gods controlling the fate of others. “Living in this world means waiting for our end”, says Beowulf (1386-1387). I interpreted this to mean that once in this world, you are just waiting for the Gods to kill you off or to do what they want with you. Saying this I also must say that he was a Saint. This could be some what contradicting, but I think that Beoulf was a saint to the people he saved from Grendal. He was looked at from the people as a sort of savior or saint because he was willing to risk his life, although for honor, to try to help these people.

This entry was posted in Blog 4 (Jan 8-9) Team Saxon? Team Saint?. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

I believe the quote you chose was very appropriate for your choice of his dominant religion. He was also very dedicated to his people and was definitely a savior.

2. Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

You are absolutely right! I read this post after I wrote my blog, but I forgot about the elements of animism and the mention of mythical creatures. Some of the mythical aspects of this poem can be even described as “witchcraft”, which is a sin in the Bible. It’s difficult for Beowulf to be a Christian hero, when he is killing dragons and fighting with magical swords.

3. Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

I thought of that also, however it was hard for me to decide since the book has pagan beliefs wrapped around christian themes. You did a good job though putting it into words of pagan being the dominant religion.