CWhite27 Blog 4

In the text of Beowulf Paganism and Christianity are both seen through-out the reading. I believe that Beowulf is a Christian because he refers mainly to one God where Pagans refer to multiple Gods. Another reason that I believe that Beowulf is a Christian is because the monster Grendel is based off of Cain from the Old Testament in the bible. Christians are the ones that use the bible because Pagans do not use or read the bible. These are only a few reasons that make me Team Saint in Beowulf. What draws me the most the believe that Beowulf is a Christian is his referencing only one God where if he were a Pagan he would reference more than one God. There are many cases through-out the reading that Beowulf references the Lord or God which leads me to believe that he is a Christian. In the beginning of the story I thought that Beowulf was going to be a Pagan because of the way he did things but towards the end I started to believe that he was more of a Christian than what I had originally thought. This story did include Pagan heroic characteristics but I believe that in the end Beowulf was a Christian and Team Saint.

This entry was posted in Blog 4 (Jan 8-9) Team Saxon? Team Saint?. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

I can absolutlely see where you are coming from. I never really looked into the character of Grendal as being something from the old testament either.

2. Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

I completely agree with your point of Grendal being taken from the old testament with his connection to Cain. I also agree with the fact that he was predominately Christian.

3. Posted January 9, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

You train of logic is right on track and the story clearly indicates that of Grendel’s relationship to cain. (But to play the Devil’s advocate) However I wonder, as I have been the entire time I’ve reading all the different opinions in the blog posts, whether a lot of this allusion to Christianity is caused by the translators of the text from it’s original language. With what artistic liberties would the translators have taken if they had seen too many references to the Pagan religion in time that was trying to convert many people to the Christian religion?