Csilverman Blog 4

I am team Saint. I think that Beowulf was definitely a christian in this poem. Beowulf makes mentions of the christian god throughout the poem. One prime example is in the following lines “They thanked God for that easy crossing on a calm sea”. (Beowulf, lines 2227-228).  This shows that they were thanking a single god which rules out that he was a pagan which is a person that believes in several gods. As the poem went on Beowulf started acting more as a leader and not all about himself bragging about his accomplishments. As this story continued Beowulf proved to be more of a leader especially at the end of the story when he sacrificed his life to kill the dragon that was threatening his land. Also Beowulf would always discuss and talk about God every time he had a big victory which shows he is a christian and believes in one god. One example of when he referenced one god was after he killed Grendel. Hrothgar also states that Beowulfs killing of Grendel was achieved “through the power of the lord” and this ties Beowulfs fame back to god. This was actually used more then once if I am not mistaken. Finally  the last quote that makes a clear reference is right before Beowulf is killed by the dragon and he declares his “thankfulness to God the king of glory, our eternal Lord” (Beowulf, Wright ed., p. 93).Overall I think it is clear to say that Beowulf was christian based on all of the references to god, and how he would pretty much dedicate his victories over the sea monsters both to God.

This entry was posted in Blog 4 (Jan 8-9) Team Saxon? Team Saint?. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted January 9, 2013 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

Great analysis and I like the way you used page references. I also agree with what you said about him believing in God and I alluded to similar points as well.