Aly Quintana Blog #4

It is hard to say whether Beowulf is Pagan or Christian but after doing some research and getting all the facts straight I found a lot of evidence that supports the fact that Beowulf is Christian. I found that there were many aspects of Christianity throughout the story of Beowulf more so than Pagan aspects. Throughout the story it is believed that all earthly gifts are from God, man is always under the protection of God, and that man should be unselfish and humble. Because these are the beliefs throughout the story, Beowulf has these same Christian beliefs. Beowulf is always saying that God is his protector throughout the whole story. An example from the text is when Beowulf is going to fight Grendel and see’s a weapon hanging on the wall and instead of taking credit for his perception he gives the credit to God for providing him with this weapon. In my opinion I believe that Beowulf is Christian and many examples in the text provide aspects of Christianity. I am team team saint.

This entry was posted in ELYSIUM. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted January 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

I think it is a very interesting point that the earthly gifts are from God and he is under God’s protection.