ARiesett Blog 4 Team Saint

After our discussion and having read Beowulf, I would say that Beowulf is a Christian. Beowulf is portrayed as the “good warrior”, which is shown through his dedication to his people.  The author is constantly reminding us that Beowulf is only able to be a good warrior and kill Grendel because God is assisting him. “The holy Creator usward sent him, I shall give to the good one gift-gems for courage” (VII, lines 11-14). Thus in a way, Beowulf is seen as a Christ-like figure in the eyes of the Danes. He was sent by God to help solve their oppression. Even early on in the poem, Beowulf denounces the Dane’s making offerings to their Pagan shrines in hopes that “the devil from hell would lighten their people’s oppression” of Grendel’s wrath.

It is also interesting to note that Grendel is a part of Cain’s lineage. The author includes this description to affirm in the audiences mind that Grendel is the evil character in the poem. This makes the audience want Beowulf to survive these battles even more because he is seen as the good, noble guy. Another interesting point is that Beowulf shows up to help defend the Danes against Grendel without being called upon. In a way, he would want the Danes to come to his rescue if need be and is therefore abiding by God because he is treating others the way he would want to be treated.

This entry was posted in Blog 4 (Jan 8-9) Team Saxon? Team Saint?. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 8, 2013 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Although I disagreed that Beowulf was a Pagan, I agree with your evidence. I believe that Beowulf was partly both a Pagan and a Christian. I like how you used references not only to Beowulf but also Grendel, showing that more than one character has references to Christianity.

2. Posted January 9, 2013 at 1:42 am | Permalink

I agree that Beowulf is a Christian. I really liked your reference to Grendel and Cane, it is almost as if Beowulf was sent by God to protect the Danes against the evil Grendel.

3. Posted January 9, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I agree with your point and find it interesting and smart that you put good warrior in quotes, because that is a term that appears in the bible. This just further proves your point.