VARGAS POST 3

During class we discussed the “guidelines” that knights lived by and the most important ones being the code of chivalry and courtly love.  When my group read them and as we discussed in class, many of these codes contradict each other and some of them seem to be loopholes to others.  I don’t think any knight could follow every single one of them in the way that they are set up.  I think that eventually a knight will have to come to a decision stand point where he will have to choose which of the “rules” he will have to break because he can’t follow all of them.

For my code of chivalry I chose commandment VIII ” Thou shalt never lie, and shall remain faithful to thy pledged word. ”  I thought this one was interesting because I feel like it is human nature for us to lie even when we don’t mean it.  To live is a life without ever speaking a lie, whether it be a big or small one, I would think it is near impossible.  Also, I feel like some of the other rules would require a knight to actually say a lie to be able to meet them especially in the courtly love.

Courtly love was an interesting one to me because I felt like the code of chivalry were pretty straight forward for the most part but the courtly love seemed to kind of contradict each other the most.  It seems like every other one was a loophole for the one before it.  I chose to examine “Nothing forbids one woman being loved by two men or one man by two women.”  I know we touched a bit on this one in class but I just thought it was really weird how knights follow and protect the church so much and yet they are allowed to have more than one lover.  They put all these rules on themselves of being a gentleman and being faithful but they are allowed this.

This entry was posted in Blog 3 (Jan 7) Knights. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted January 8, 2013 at 12:13 am | Permalink

I also chose that code to write about. I think your take on it being human nature to lie is right, and shows that the knights were held to an impossible standard.