jsilverman Blog 3 Chivalry

One rule that I don’t quite understand in regards to Gautiers code of Chivalry is respect life and freedom. Many times being a hero requires you to take someone else’s life and freedom. For example in Odysseus  while he definitely wrongs certain people he is considered a hero, and he gains a lot of his hubris by killing many men throughout his journeys. If you look at it in terms of your own life, it would make sense that you must always respect the life you have. For example, towards the end of Odysseus, when he is in the sea, he says to Poseidon how he is happy to be a live and that is all he has left. When you have hardships in life it really makes you think about life itself.

One rule I don’t agree with in the art of courtly love is, when one lover dies, a widowhood of two years is required of the survivor. Two years can be a long time for some people, If someone passes away, I feel like it is the survivors decision if they would like to find new love. For many people love is the basis of survival and being alone can really destroy a person.

This entry was posted in Blog 3 (Jan 7) Knights. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted January 8, 2013 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

I talked about when one lover dies, a widowhood of two years is required in my post. I dont think there should be a time requirement, but I also think if you were truly in love with someone that you would be so satisfied with the love they provided while they were living that you wouldn’t need to find someone else… but I like this point of view!

One Trackback

1. By click through the next internet site on March 27, 2021 at 4:52 pm

click through the next internet site

jsilverman Blog 3 Chivalry

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]