Kmeyerhoff Blog 1

A hero that I find myself to me most relatable to would have to be Simba from The Lion KingThe Lion King is one of my favorite movies and Simba is probably my favorite hero/animal/character.  Although Simba is not technically a human, I still believe he can be looked at as having human qualities.  Simba encompasses many characteristics associated with being a hero such as intelligence, strong, caring, brave, quick to react, and a good being.

Simba at first seems to be more of a “damsel in distress” because his father saves him a lot.  Throughout the movie Mufasa seems to be the hero and Simba looks at him in this way as well.  Simba’s flaw is that he blamed himself for many bad things and therefore couldn’t see how he could be like his father.  Simba didn’t quite understand how his father’s heroism already lived inside of him.  Once Simba matured, he realized he was meant to rule Pride Rock and needed to go back.  By doing this he was a hero to many other lions.

I can relate to Simba and his beliefs towards Mufasa.  Similar to Simba I have a parent that I find to embrace characteristics of a hero.  My mother has always been able to handle every good/bad thing thrown her way.  As I grow up I hope to handle situations the way my mother has just like Simba was able to follow in his father’s footsteps.

This entry was posted in Blog 1 (Jan 3) Introductions. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 4, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I love the Lion King so much and i love the way you analyzed Simba. I can completely relate to the fact that you see your mom as a hero. My mother has always been my rock and the driving force behind who I am. I don’t know where I would be without her. I didn’t even think about how many heroes Disney has created within their stories. Nice analysis!

• Posted January 4, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Markisha I actually tried to comment on your post, but it wouldn’t let me post for some reason. I have never seen X-Men before, but I found your analysis to be really interesting. I enjoyed the fact that her emotions are directly linked to her powers because many people associate women with being emotional. Although this can often times get people into trouble, it seems like it did make Storm more powerful in a way.

2. Posted January 4, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I like how you included both mufasa and Simba as parts of the hero dynamic because Mufasa is an integral part of what makes Simba’s character.