EClausen Blog 2

During class today when we talked about hero’s and how they might “fit the bill” as our professor put it. There were four main things, but the one that stuck out to me the most was the harmatia. Defined, it means a sort of fatal flaw. I found this to be extremely interesting because that is one of the last things that I would personally think of when thinking about a hero. In connection to people we discussed in class, it was hard to find a person or even a fictional character that has a fatal flaw, especially since the term flaw can be interpreted in so many ways. I found it most difficult to find a person or character that fit my description for a flaw because to me it meant something that had to be somewhat major but also it was something that effected their life on an almost daily basis.

Going off of this definition, the first person that came to my mind was Rosa Parks. In her earlier life, she always had major health issues that she continuously hid from the public when she became more in the public eye. Not only did she suffer from major health issues, but so did the rest of her family as well. I saw this is a flaw, because not only did it hinder her every day life, but it was not only physically draining but mentally as well. It was also something that led to her ultimate downfall. She eventually died from her illnesses. The other aspects that Parks needed were also met. She was superior to the average man because she stood up for her beliefs. She also evoked pity in those that were against her and fear as well because they were scared of her success. Lastly she suffered her fate from her illnesses. This, to me, meant that she was an ideal option for being an Epic Hero, especially since she was able to make a change in the world, just by doing something that she wanted to do for herself. There are also similarities to Oedipus here because although he was trying to do the right thing by trying to find the murder when in fact, he was ultimately the killer.

This entry was posted in Blog 2 (Jan 4) Greek to Me. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 4, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

I think Rosa Parks was a good choice. I did not realize that she had major health issues throughout her life. It was definitely brave of her to hid that from the public for so long while standing up for her beliefs. Perhaps since she had the illness, it inspired and motivated her to stand up for her bliefs.

2. Posted January 4, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

This was a very good choice I thought of an epic hero. Good points were brought up about Rosa Parks and how she changed the world making her an Epic Hero. Rosa Parks definitely “fits the bill”.

3. Posted January 4, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

I think it is great that you chose a women. she may not be physically superior to man, but she is definitely stronger within, which makes her one of the best Heros. Her courage and strength to put her problems aside for the many people suffering shows that she is selfless and overall what a true hero stands for.