CEdwards Greek to Me BP2

While I was not in a small group today to discuss specific heroes, through reviewing my notes from yesterday and my understanding of the prompt, the terms we have discussed in class apply lead me to label Bill Clinton as a modern day tragic hero.  Under the Clinton administration, the United States saw extreme economic improvement. Most frequently I hear that “Clinton balanced the nation’s checkbook,” which made him hero in the eyes of many.  Additionally, people often appreciate a humanizing characteristic of those who they deem as heroes, as we discussed in class. Some could argue that his infamous confession regarding marijuana, in which “I did not inhale” became the infamous tagline, humanized him to many Americans.

However, his extramarital affair with White House intern, Monica Lewinsky led to his decline in popularity and ultimate impeachment by the House of Representatives. He allowed his power and position to control him and he grew very prideful and really believed he would not get caught cheating. My opinion on why he had the affair (extreme power and pride) exemplifies hubris. His hamartia is the actual affair with Monica Lewinsky.  After details of his affair were discussed publically, Clinton lost a great deal of respect and admiration from the American population. It only grew worse when he lied under oath and obstructed justice to conceal his wrongdoing. After that, it was a steady downhill turn for the Clinton administration, an example of catharsis.

This entry was posted in Blog 2 (Jan 4) Greek to Me. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

2 Comments

1. Posted January 7, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Crystal I think this is a great example of a tragic hero. You give clear examples of Clintons rise and fall during his Presidency.

2. Posted January 7, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

This was interesting to read about, and you did a good job of proving your point.