Jkaufman Hero Blog 1

The hero that best represents me is Roger Federer because he goes way beyond the basic characteristics of being an athlete. A hero is often defined by their actions, and Roger Federer displays some of the greatest characteristics including: courage, leadership and determination. Although I do not display every characteristic he does, I feel I can relate to a lot of the same values. Roger Federer demonstrates the highest passion and determination for his sport. Throughout his career, Federer has had to face the difficulties of being an athlete and a normal teenager. I can relate to this because I am also a athlete and share a lot of the same experiences. Being a Division 1 athlete, I constantly have to face the challenges of balancing out my work on the court and in the classroom. Like Federer, I feel I posses hard work and dedication, which allow me to be a successful student-athlete.

On top of being a world-class athlete, Roger is one of the best role models out there. A hero not only has to have great personal characteristics but needs to develop a strong relationship with the community. His sportsmanship that he represents on the court shows a certain calmness and leadership that inspires many. He is respectable on the court, whether he wins or loses, and promotes the sport in the best way possible. Off the court he maintains his role model status by giving back to the community. He has developed many programs for underprivileged kids and has donated millions into the sport.

In all Roger Federer possess a great sense of heroism. Like him, I strive to be hard working and determined to be the best I can be. I also try to incorporate a great sense of sportsmanship and leadership when I present myself on the court. Roger is a true hero and I can most directly relate to his great accomplishments.

This entry was posted in Blog 1 (Jan 3) Introductions. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

7 Comments

1. Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I totally agree with everything you just said about Roger Federer. He is a great all around role model for people to have and shows how much he works hard at what he does.

2. Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Roger Federer is a class act! He is not only a very successful athlete, but also has excellent sportsmanship skills. As a tennis fan, I have encountered many excellent tennis players who are not “good sports”. Federer is a wonderful example of a hero because he speaks highly of his opponents and is always on his best behavior, regardless of whether or not he wins a match.

3. Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Like some other people have touched on or chosen, I never thought about pick a real live character that wasn’t a “superhero” for this blog. A hero could be your mother or the president as well as someone like Batman. Everyone has their own beliefs and opinions, which causes them to think a certain way.

4. Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

I completely agree with you! This is a great example of a modern day hero! It is hard to balance your sport and your school work but it is even more difficult to do so in a way that others can look up to and respect! It is nice that youth and college kids have someone of this caliber to serve as a role model.

5. Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

I agree that Roger Federer is a hero, but for some reason I always think of him as a role model. I always think of fiction characters as heroes and real people as role models. There is a fine line between heroes and role models. Great Post!

6. Posted January 4, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

I agree Roger Federer is an example of a hero in many peoples eyes today. His dedication, class, and work ethic are truly unbelievable, he goes out of his way to make the sport of tennis all that it can be.

7. Posted January 7, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

I too chose an athlete to write about. they are indeed great heroes who set examples everyday and save more people than we think about just by being a great role model.