Grammar Tips: Passive Voice & Collective Nouns

We’re back with our second edition of Grammar Tips; brought to you by the ENG205 Grammar students, Professor Paula Patch, and the Cupid Studio. Last week our Grammar Tips highlighted who vs. whom and comma splices.

This week our tips will focus on passive voice and collective nouns. If you’re ever unsure whether your voice is passive or you can’t quite remember what a collective noun is, these tips may be just what you need. With finals just around the corner it’s never a bad idea to brush up on your grammar skills! Are there any tips you use? Let us know and check out #elongrammar too!

PASSIVE VOICE

Grammar Tip! (1) (1)

COLLECTIVE NOUNS

Collective Noun Grammar Tip

This entry was posted in CUPID News, Outside the Classroom, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted April 30, 2015 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I love the “by zombies” passive voice rule. It’s one of the easiest ways to explain passive voice, and I’ve used the trick with my own writing. Collective nouns have always been tricky for me, so that is a really good one to know too!

One of my favorite ways to explain a comma is how it functions, in a lot of cases, like a pause. You can *hear* a comma in a sentence. Great post!