Tech Tip: Google Chrome Apps and Extensions

Bridget Hurley ’15

Are you using a browser other than Google Chrome? If so, I implore you, please, please delete it and start using Chrome. Chrome is faster, more intuitive, and more secure than other browsers. Even better, Chrome allows for apps and extensions that can make your life easier and more entertaining. They are very easy to install and use.

The first step for using Chrome Apps is to go to the Chrome store. This can be found at the top of your bookmarks bar. If you use Google Drive or Docs, you may already have apps installed. Click “web store” under apps and it will direct you to the web store.

Chrome Apps

The Chrome web store is expansive and the apps are organized by categories, such as business tools, education, and entertainment. On the side bar, you can select what type of app you are looking for. You can also search by the name of the application if you know it in the searchbar. This is what the Chrome web store looks like.

Chrome Apps

Once you select the application you would like to download, it is very easy to add it to your Chrome app collection. Just click the app and you will be presented with a page that looks like this.

The red rectangle shows some of the information you can look over before downloading an app, like reviews and details. All you have to do is click the button that says “free” (highlighted in the green box) and your download will be accessible from the apps tab on your bookmark bar. And that’s it!

Chrome Apps

Some apps that I find helpful are the Google Drive app and the Spotify app, which opens Spotify in a window on your computer rather than as a separate application on your computer. Good luck!

This entry was posted in Tech Tip. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

One Comment

1. Posted December 1, 2014 at 9:48 am | Permalink

I had never realized all of the options that there were with Google Chrome apps and extensions! I always have the apps appear in my browswer, but I have never considered adding new ones. And honestly, I’ve never even used the ones I have. I especially like the idea of adding a Google Drive app to the page, because I use that extremely frequently. Quizlet, which Bridget highlighted above, is a software with which I was not previously familiar, but I plan to look into that more in the future definitely.