Kelsey O’Connell ’14 Named Lumen Scholar

Congratulations to PWR’s very own Kelsey O’Connell and her mentor Dr. Rebecca Pope-Ruark for being named one of Elon University’s 2012 Lumen Scholars! The Lumen Prize is Elon University’s most respected and premiere award. Recipients of the Lumen Prize are awarded $15,000 in scholarship to support their research proposals and their academic performance and strides. The Lumen Scholar recipients will work closely with their mentors for the next two years to develop and complete their research projects through course work, outside undergraduate research, study abroad experiences, on and off campus internships, and other opportunities.

Kelsey’s project title is “Community Discourse and Rhetorical Strategies in the Development of the New Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.” Kelsey is currently spending the semester in London, and is looking forward to diving into her research when she returns to the US this summer and participates in the SURE program. “It’s such an honor to win the Lumen Prize. It’s especially incredible to have so much support for my research. It hasn’t really sunk in yet because I’m still abroad, but I’m sure it’ll hit me once I’m back at Elon pouring through the DSM.”

Congratulations on the great honor to Kelsey! It is a prize well deserved.

This entry was posted in Student Profile. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.