What is Kaltura?
Kaltura is an easy way to share videos at Elon. Kaltura is different from other video platforms, like YouTube, in a few important ways.
- Kaltura works within Moodle, so you and your students don't have to leave Moodle.
- Kaltura is private and your videos are only available to Elon users within your Moodle courses.
- There are no advertisements to distract from your content.
- Tools are included to help you record and create videos and screencasts.
- Detailed analytics let you know who watched it and how much they watched.
- Videos are automatically transcribed making it easier to edit and add closed captions to your videos.
Are you at Elon Law? Learn how to take advantage of Kaltura’s features outside of Moodle.
Why would you use Kaltura?
Kaltura supports many of the ways video is used in blended, flipped and online classes. Here are a few examples of how Kaltura can be leveraged in an academic setting.
- Record a microlecture to move material out-of-class allowing for more activities in-class.
- Integrate a quiz within your video to keep students attention and check their understanding.
- Record audio or video feedback on student work.
- Record a screencast that demonstrates how to use an application or website.
- Assign students a video presentation or digital story that they create and share in a Moodle assignment or forum.
- Introduce yourself and the course content with an introductory video at the start of the semester.
- Create video modules that enable students to work through course material at their own pace.