FitStar: The fitness app for those on-the-go

Posted on: December 4, 2014 | By: Aurora Albi-Mercier | Filed under: Instructional Technologies, Teaching & Learning

With Thanksgiving now behind us, and the holidays right around the corner, I thought that I’d take a deeper look into fitness apps this month. I feel like blogs are a place for honesty, so here’s the honest truth… I can’t workout by myself for the life of me.  Call me unmotivated or uninspired, but every time I’ve tried to create a workout routine by myself, I’ve failed.  Believe me, I’ve tried many times before using cardio workout apps and yoga apps, but much to my dismay, I just couldn’t get motivated enough to follow the routines. That’s where FitStar came in and turned my bad habits around.

About Fitstar

FitStar, downloadable here on the iTunes store, is a workout app that caters to the people who are busy.  According to their website you can, “Workout anytime, anywhere with FitStar Personal Trainer. Never miss an opportunity to get a customized workout while traveling, when you can’t make it to the gym, or don’t wanFitStar Logot to pay for a costly personal trainer.”  These workouts can be done pretty much anywhere, and don’t require any type of weights or other fitness accessories.  You use the natural weight of your body to do strengthening and cardio workouts.

FitStar walks you through the setup of weight and workout types.  After logging through either a social media site or your email, FitStar has you put in some more personal details, like height and weight.  At this point you determine how you want to use the app; You can choose to lose weight, strengthen muscle, maintain weight.  The app then helps choose the right workouts for your body size, fitness level, and goal.

Disclaimer: I should mention that I am using the free version of the app, but for those who are more dedicated or ambitious, you can purchase a premium monthly subscription for $4.99/month or a yearly subscription for $29.99…which is much cheaper than a personal trainer.  There are other FitStar versions if you don’t want to upgrade to the Premium account including: Daily Dose, Get Lean, Get Moving (Free Trial that I’m using), and Get Strong.

Things I liked about FitStar

1. Multiple preset workouts…that all have music

This app offers multiple kinds of workouts, and allows you to exercise based on your predetermined fitness level.  After each workout, FitStar asks you to rate if the exercise it was too hard, too easy, or just right and changes your future workouts accordingly.  The workouts all correlate with a song on “FitStar Tracks” to help you keep your rhythm and tempo.IMG_0045

2. Festive themes

FitStar also offers Freestyle sessions all with fun themes that makes working out seem like it could be an enjoyable activity.  Each of these different themed workouts let you focus on a different part of the body.  I tried the “Workout Anywhere” because I was stuck in a dorm room, and it focused on workouts that didn’t require a lot of space.

3. A guiding voice

Where most other workout apps I have used only list the exercises and repetitions that you’re supposed to do, FitStar actually has a voice and video that shows you how to do the exercises. Personally, I really liked this because I’m not always sure what a “Spiderman” exercise is supposed to look like.

Things I wish were better

What is a Spiderman?

What is a Spiderman?

I wish I had the ability to create my own personalized workouts by being able to take out some of the exercises and replace them with others. For example, I really don’t like doing pushups, but I would be fine to do an extra set of jumping jacks.

Other than that, I really didn’t have any complaints, especially considering I used the free basic version.  I’m sure there are even more goodies in the monthly or yearly renewable subscriptions.

Last impression

Overall, I think FitStar is a great workout app because of it’s motivational coaching throughout the sessions. I think this app would be great for the person who’s on-the-go and wants to workout but doesn’t have a gym at the ready.  With workouts that vary in time and intensity, FitStar offers enough variety to cater to everyone.  I also think the interface is easy to navigate, and the free version offers enough different types of workouts to keep you entertained.

Aurora Albi-Mercier

Who knows what I'll end up doing later on in life, but for now I'm just a twenty-something who likes to be busy and wants to learn yoga. I'm also trying to teach myself to love tea... (but I have to admit, I prefer a good cup o' joe.)

More Posts

Follow Me:
TwitterLinkedIn

4 responses to “FitStar: The fitness app for those on-the-go”

1. Sumit Thakur says:

This app seems very cool.
    I like the way you represented this information.

2. jahid hasan says:

Really this app is great.
    Overall, I think FitStar is a great workout app because of it’s motivational coaching throughout the sessions. I think this app would be great for the person who’s on-the-go and wants to workout but doesn’t have a gym at the ready.

3. Sastonepal says:

i have downloaded Finess app on iTune and it is really awesome. Thank you Aurora!

4. Wow, that’s what I was looking for, what a material!
    present here at this blog, thanks admin of this site.