Book Review: Creating a Sense of Presence in Online Teaching: How to “Be There” for Distance Learners

Posted on: December 7, 2016 | By: Cheri Crabb, PhD | Filed under: Instructional Technologies

Creating a Sense of Presence in Online Teaching by Lehman and Conceicao (2010), discusses how a strong online presence contributes to higher student satisfaction and retention.  Students often take online courses without rcreatingealizing that learning and communicating takes places very differently online.  The authors state it is crucial that instructors create a sense of connectivity and community with the students in the online environment.  The book presents case studies, activities, best practices and suggested methods for encouraging connectivity between and among the instructor and students.  It is a comprehensive guide for faculty devoted to creating an online community of learners.  For a more detailed review by Marcia D. Dixson, please read:  http://josotl.indiana.edu/article/viewFile/1840/1837

Cheri Crabb, PhD

I am dedicated to working with online faculty at Elon University and pride myself on designing quality curriculum advocating instructional technology usage. My career in academia is focused on instructional design and development using integrated electronic media systems. I earned my Doctor of Philosophy in Instructional Systems Design and Development from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University while representing NASA’s Office of Education as their first Graduate Studies Research Program doctoral fellowship recipient.

More Posts