Analise Godfrey: A General Assessment

Posted on: September 22, 2014 | By: Analise Godfrey | Filed under: Instructional Technologies, Tech Tips, Teaching & Learning

I am jolted awake to find myself in a room of chaos. Bright lights are flashing and the sound of a siren echoes throughout the room. I quickly get out of bed and begin to put on my boots as we all listen intently for the voice that is about to come over the loudspeaker. The voice began to speak, “Rescue Five is needed for an accident involving two adults that have been entrapped within their car. At this time patients are unconscious.” As we sped down the highway to the scene of the accident I could feel the sense of anxiety rush over me. The paramedic I was assisting looked over and assured me I would be ok, but nothing could prepare me for what I was about to witness… What I just described was one of the many nights I experienced volunteering as an EMT in undergrad. It is now about three years from that night and I find myself as a first year physician assistant student at Elon University.

Prior to college I had spent my entire life growing up in Virginia Beach. Each weekend brought a new beach experience and thus began my passion for marine life. My love for all types of science grew with me throughout the years of schooling. Then my senior year of high school came and I made the big decision to leave Virginia Beach and start my next four years of education at James Madison University. I started my freshman year of college excited, yet timid, of all the changes that were about to come. Before starting school my mind was set that I wanted to major in biology. My first year as a biology major brought introductory biology courses which entertained me somewhat but I wanted to learn more. Then second year came and the dreaded course of cell and molecular biology was upon me. The class was a challenge and most of the topics were not that interesting to me. Then DNA transcription and translation came and I was introduced to a completely new view of the human body. The animations of life’s essential proteins and DNA replicating at a microscopic level captivated me. Our bodies seemed so much more interesting on a molecular level and I slowly began the transition into the medical aspect of science.

944328_10152777100360277_940797070_n

James Madison University Graduation 2013

I quickly began researching what type of field I desired to work in. James Madison University gave me many opportunities to expand my knowledge and familiarize myself with the healthcare system. I was able to become a teacher’s assistant for the anatomy course, which truly allowed me to appreciate the human body in so many different ways. While volunteering for the rescue squad I was able to have interactions with patients and experience first hand a glimpse into our healthcare system. Throughout my many years of volunteering in the health field I was able to see technology be used in some pretty amazing ways. I have witnessed technology upgrade everything from ambulances to operating rooms. I have watched doctors and other practitioners share and communicate information about patients instantly in order to save lives. Technology has erased so many obstacles in our healthcare system that our practitioners once thought unachievable.

When I heard about this project, Writing with Thumbs, I became very interested in the study on how students learn through technology. I started thinking of the many ways my professors at Elon University have used technology such as google glasses and anatomy apps to enhance our learning experience. I find myself very fortunate to be at a program that incorporates technology into our everyday learning. I hope to bring to this project a viewpoint from the medical world and how we as practitioners and students use technology to learn and educate patients.

IMG_0009.JPG

Elon Physician Assistant Class of 2016

Analise Godfrey

Student at Elon University's Physician Assistant Program

More Posts