Visit to the South African Golf Mercedes Hall of Fame by Kyle Worrel

Our groups main thesis involved sports in South Africa and their representation through media regarding races. Prior to visiting the country, our research did not include the game of golf but after visiting the country first hand we noticed that there were several golf courses throughout the country. This was clear evidence that the media and worldwide awareness of golf in South Africa was lacking and nearly kept a secret.  So our group decided to expand upon on our thesis and add the game of golf. 

Christian and I visited the Mercedes golf hall of fame on our research day down at the waterfront in capetown. The museum was very well displayed and we learned tons of information. I was so excited to visit this museum because I am a big time golfer. I thought I knew all of the golfers from South Africa but boy was I wrong. Immediately I ran to read about some of the famous South Africa legends of the game. So I read the plaques about Ernie Els, Gary player, Louis oostehzien, retief goosen and davidleadbetter. These were all incredibly successful golfers with long and we’ll known careers. However after I read about all the tour players that i grew up admiring I then turned to the dozens of other plaques. I was so surprised to see how many other golfers were in the hall of fame that an avid golfer like myself had never even heard of. It was very interesting and eye opening to read the stories, biographies, and career successes. I especially enjoyed seeing the plaques from non white golfers. While there was a limited number it showed that despite the time of apartheid, these golfers were able to overcome the hatred and laws that limited their access to facilities and tournament eligibility. For example, papwa sewgolum was an Indian golfer that won over 2 dozens tournaments throughout his career. At a young age he began caddying to support his family after his father passed away. He did this for 14 years and picked up the game of golf. However, despite his success, he was banned from many tours and tournaments from 1960-65 for being a nonwhite.  He also was the first non European South African to compete in the South African open. After his competitive career he began focusing his efforts to create clinics and programs for underprivileged youth to help spread the availability of the game of golf. There were others like Papwa that helped support the game of golf and make it accessible for all in South Africa. His leadership and dedication was one of the main reasons I chose his name during the naming ceremony. 

There is another main issue related to the game of golf in South Africa. Currently, South Africa is facing a tough time economically and the value of the rand is faltering. Around the world, golf is a very expensive sport to play. You must buy certain clothing apparel, special equipment and access to a golf facility or country club. This financial burden has put a severe hinderance on the ability and access of golfers for South Africa.  For example, there has never been a professional golfer from South Africa to play on the PGA tour. 

Today, there are over 500 golf courses in South Africa. Ever since the fall of apartheid there has been a an increase in demand and accessibility for the game. This has promoted the construction of new facilities and a larger diverse number of people on the course. Nearly all courses are located along the coastline with a few remote ones more inland and in a pocket in the northeast. To the golfing world, golf courses in South Africa are still a relatively kept secret. This is partially related to apartheid and the countries struggling economic standing. I myself am a huge golfer and had no idea there was so much golf here even after all of our groups research on sports and media representation of black and whites in the countries sports.

Are all sports accessible to everyone of South Africa even post Apartheid?

This entry was posted in Class of 2016. Bookmark the permalink.