CLASS OF 2017: NAMIBIA

Hello everyone! My name is Maria Idalia Gant. I’m from New Haven, Connecticut. I am an International Studies and Political Science double major with a minor in Asian Studies. Fingers crossed, by the time I graduate, they will have a Mandarin (Chinese) minor. At Elon, I am a member of the Asian Studies Club, which is a fairly new club. I hold the title of Publicity Chair to make sure that everyone is aware of our meetings and the events we hold on campus. I also have a job in Student Life as a Customer Service Representative under Dr. Jackson!

I first heard of the Periclean Scholars Program through my Global teacher, Dr. Carpenter, last year. He spoke very highly of the program and thought that I should apply. After learning more about the program I knew it was something that I would put my all into. I have always felt the need and want to help others; not only where I live but internationally as well (Hence my major J). I am very passionate in helping others, but also learning about different cultures.

I hope to learn all I can about Namibia. At the moment, I do not know much about the country but I am eager to learn with my peers! We have been told that being a Periclean Scholar is a lot of hard work, but I believe at the end, it will all be worth it. Africa, itself as a continent, has so many different people and cultures’. I am very excited to learn specifically about Namibia’s. During these next three years, I am confident that the Periclean Scholar’s Class of 2017 will accomplish the goals we will soon set for ourselves. We will grow as a group, sharing our thoughts and ideas with one another, and bond over this country we, at first, knew nothing about. I know we, as a unit, will make a difference!

This entry was posted in Class of 2017-Namibia. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.