Did We Forget About the South?

May 09 2011

Did We Forget About the South?

Published by

With all of the news of Osama bin Laden’s death, the tornado ridden south has been driven from many people’s mind.  But the south is still in major catastrophe mode.  One mayor even ventured far enough to call it a “Katrina-like event.”  While it may not be completely on that scale, it is definitely a major disaster and the south is going to have a very difficult time over coming it.  Alabama was hit especially hard by the tornadoes, with at least 249 out of the 327 deaths (the death toll is still expected to rise) being in Alabama.  With the country already being hit hard with the recent recession, the tornadoes have really took a turn on the southern state and it is going to take a lot for them to come back from it.  It is expected to take years for them to fully recover from this type of disaster.  But after 178 confirmed tornadoes hitting the south and southwest, it’s not really a surprise how much damage it caused.  This was the largest outbreak of tornadoes in US history.

It seems though that the communities are really coming together to help rebuild their towns.  While people are still searching for bodies in the wreckage, the university in Tuscaloosa is using fraternity and sorority houses to hand out food and other aid to students and residents.  It also looks like the support for the federal government is really helping the states that have been revenged by the disaster. Many people have been taking pictures of the damages and you can see how the tornadoes utterly destroyed some cities, while other landmarks are left completely unharmed.  Volunteers have also been extremely helpful in the cleanup, but there is just so much destruction that it looks like it is going to take a very long time.

Lets just hope that even with all of the media on Osama bin Laden, we can still take time to think about the victims of the tornadoes, not just in Alabama, but the midwest and upper south too.  They have had a very devastating disaster come through and rip their homes and cities apart.  They need our support right now.  As we have all recently discovered, it is possible for America to band together as a nation, we need to focus that energy on other things as well, not just celebrating the death of Osama bin Laden.

9 Responses to “Did We Forget About the South?”

1. cvalero Says:

I completely agree that natural disasters of the North American continent are a way for the citizens to come together in times of need. The tornados killed many and displaced others due to unpredictable means. Osama bin Laden is a killer we had prior knowledge about way before 9/11. We are the ones who didn’t take it seriously when the first attack on the WTC in Manhattan happened in 1993 and weren’t prepared to handle a second attach eight years later.
    On that same note the major of New Orleans had fare warning about the seriousness of the hurricane and what kind of impact it would have on the city though he chose to ignore it. Hurricane Katrina could have been managed (as far as safety for the citizen and emergence planning) much better with the time provided way before it hit.
    Osama bin Laden was a killer and responsible for killing 3,000 American citizens but we kill our own citizens in unimaginable ways too. I’m not saying they are comparable but killing someone is bad enough. I wouldn’t want to be knowingly responsible for the deaths of others. Last comment, I don’t think the tragic events of 9/11 were justified the way Americans across the country parading Osama bin Laden’s death. No matter how bad a person he was doesn’t give us the right to boost in victory. We killed innocent people including our own soldiers the whole time we’ve been at war.

2. jroycroft Says:

I completely agree with your blog post. Everyone does seem caught up in the excitement over the killing of Osama that they have seem to forgotten the struggle the South is going through. I believe the United States has done an efficient job of coming together and raising money in efforts to soothe troubles going on in disaster areas such as Hurricane Katrina or Haiti. I do not understand why these relief efforts are not going about to help the Southern states.

3. wllamas Says:

The disaster in Alabama was devastating and I agree it deserves more attention. I don’t know if you feel the same way, but I am always incredibly sad when students die. Those students had their whole lives in front of them only to be cut short by a natural disaster which no one could prevent. The media these days is a complicated matter as their only goal is to appeal to the public. Osama Bin Laden terrorized our country and eluded our forces for years. I do agree that both stories are important to our country but killing Osama Bin Laden does warrant as much media attention that is has been getting. It was a momentous victory for the US and will probably be an important event for our future. So, in a perfect world both stories would get the attention they deserve, but this isn’t a perfect world.

4. jweiss5 Says:

I also agree that the tornadoes that wiped through the south and destroyed much of Alabama are not the nation’s top concern right now. Though it was not the same scope of Katrina, it is still a blow to the south and any loss of life due to a natural disaster should be considered a great loss for the United States as a whole. I am involved in Greek life at Elon and we recently donated to our “sister to sister” foundation to support two sisters at a chapter at University of Alabama who were killed in the recent tornadoes. Though I didn’t know them personally, we still have a connection and I feel responsible to help in any way possible. As Americans, it’s these small yet tangible connections that hold us accountable to one another. I have no doubt that Alabama will get through this with the help and support of family, friends and other citizens in the U.S.

5. abrooks9 Says:

I agree as well. I wish that America would pull together for natural disasters as much as we have for bin Laden’s death. I really admire how much the communities pull together. They’re strength in their time of need is so powerful and inspiring. I can’t help but imagine the feeling of community or the strength of the country if we could ALL pull together to support the people affected by the natural disasters. It is just interesting to acknowledge the different attitudes that people take towards these events.

6. wbarden Says:

You are absolutely right. My family is from Alabama and I have several friends who attended the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. They have said that the town is destroyed. Families have lost their homes, their community, friends, and neighbors. Although Osama bin Laden’s death is very important to the United States, the destruction in Alabama is just as, if not more, important. These are American citizens who are in need of help. They are continuing to die and are struggling to survive while our focus is on a man’s death. To be honest, it wasn’t even Osama’s death that first lost our focus from the tornados. The Royal Wedding took place only a short time after the tornados. People’s focus were more focused on the style of Kate Middleton’s wedding rather than the dying citizens in Alabama.

7. tpewitt Says:

I think it’s really sad that the disasters in our own country are not receiving near the amount of media attention they deserve. I also wanted to do a blog on the current disasters in the south including the tornados, floods, etc. and found myself having to actually search to find any headlines about them. While Bin Laden’s death is most definitely newsworthy we cannot forget on what is going on here in the US.

8. mcatts Says:

I think it is very interesting how one event can totally wipe out another in the eyes of the media. There are still so many people displaced and devastated in those southern states, and with other world news going on, stories like this tend to go on the back burner and a lot of people tend to forget them. I think a lot of people are failing to realize that the southern towns hit my the tornado are still distressed.

9. cdahl2 Says:

With all news going on in the international forum you are definitely correct that it is important to pause and think of what’s going on domestically. Natural disasters have been roaring through the south, including the recent tornadoes and severe storms ripping through Alabama through North Carolina. A flood is actually making its way into Memphis, where the Mississippi river is cresting. Residents of Louisiana are now bracing for the impact of the impending flood. Hopefully the mistakes made by the government in Hurricane Katrina will not be repeated in these and future natural disasters.