They’re Not All That Bad Sometimes: A Personal Reflection of a Successful Group Project, Part One

guest4Hello everyone! Before we return to classes, Cadence Dingler will reflect upon her successful experience with a particular group project, as our summers come to an end and we look forward to starting new classes with potential collaborative work! This post will be split into two parts, so be sure to check back soon for the second section in which Cadence goes further in depth about the experience and what her group did to successfully collaborate.

“We all know it: group projects generally have a bad reputation. In my 2 years at college so far, few people I know actually enjoy working as part of a group. Sure, the work load is sometimes lessened, but the cons outweigh the pros the in most cases. Most people can remember an instance where they were just part of the worst group known to mankind. There’s almost always inevitably the kid student who sleeps in and doesn’t come to your meetings. Or there’s the one who pretends like he is doing something on the Google Doc, but is actually just typing nonsense. Or there’s sometimes even the one who decides to put in a ton of effort at the very end, and begs you to help her out. It’s not a pretty sight, and it makes the stresses of college double in a matter of seconds.

But every once in a while, you’ll find yourself with a good group, a small group of people who are all motivated and care enough about their grade in the class not to slack off. You’ll find yourself excited with the prospect of being with these amazing individuals and putting together a product that perfectly showcases how much of a team player you are.

guest3

For Cupid Studio This Year…  

For a client project in CUPID Studio this semester, it was a once in a blue moon kind of group project. I trusted my two other group members, and had faith in anything that we could do. It especially didn’t hurt that our assigned client was Paula Rosinski, the director of the Writing Center, and our boss at the Writing Center.

Yes, my team members, Sarah, Kelley, and I are currently consultants at the Writing Center. We were tasked with this client project to market the Writing Center in such a way that would attract more students to stop by, and bring papers and assignments in to work on.

The Writing Center at Elon University…

The Writing Center at Elon University has always prided itself in providing an area for students to collaborate on their work. However, many students, and faculty as well, may not understand the purpose of the Writing Center. Be it bad word of mouth or a major miscommunication, students and faculty, for the most part, have the wrong idea about the Writing Center. That’s where our CUPID Studio group stepped in. We were given a vast amount of information about the Writing Center, though we were almost completely informed about the Writing Center before beginning, seeing as we all worked there. For our client project, Sarah, Kelley and I were given instructions to get the point across, in a unique and effective way, that:

1.) The WC does not only serve first-year students

2.) Strong writers can and should bring in work to the WC

3.) The WC does not just “edit” papers.

New to Client Projects…?

If you have never before worked on a client project, it is, truthfully, a little different than a regular group project. You have to keep in mind that, you’re not just working for yourselves; you’re working for your client. Whatever they say goes. This can sometimes limit the directions you want to go in. Nonetheless, Sarah, Kelley and I were determined to do everything in our power to make our client, Paula, happy with the end result.

So Sarah, Kelley and I were tasked with dispelling rumors and myths concerning the Writing Center and boosting students and faculty’s overall awareness of what the Writing Center is all about. We were encouraged to develop a better marketing plan for the Writing Center, and perhaps create professional posters and ads. After some time spent brainstorming, we decided on two main elements that would be in place for the Writing Center client project.”

This entry was posted in CUPID News, Student Perspective. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

One Comment

1. Posted September 2, 2014 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I completely understand dreading group projects and value this piece as a reflection on group dynamics.

I worked with four other interns at my job this summer. We were assigned periodic group projects and usually these projects were pretty big. I found myself exhausted at the end of the day and watched my peers reading People magazine at their desks. They refused to pull their weight. I sat down with them and explained what I needed help with and what they could do, and they eventually followed through. It was a frustrating but eye-opening experience. I now understand that you can change a group dynamic if you approach it with a distinct mindset.

I look forward to Part Two!