Nov 30 2010
Post-1923 library collection
Ever wonder what happened to the library collection after the “Old Main” Administration Building on Elon’s campus was destroyed by fire in January 1923? Belk Library has the answer! The 1923 fire destroyed the Administration Building which housed the library, as well as classrooms, administrative and faculty offices, the chapel, the museum, literary society halls, and dorm rooms. The President of Elon at the time, William A. Harper, reached out to the Elon community and asked them to donate any college publications and other materials that would help rebuild what was lost in the fire.
Those “other materials” included many books that became a new Elon College Library collection. After spending many years in storage, some of these books are now on display on the first floor of Belk Library. The books are on a variety of subjects, such as mathematics, theology, science and grammar and may not be checked out.