Welcome to our Spring Interns!

We have 2 lovely spring interns who have joined our office this semester and are helping with many areas: events, applications, information sessions just to name a few. We love them and couldn’t think of 2 better students to be a part of our professional staff for the spring. Please say hi to them if you’re on campus – they would love to talk to you!

Ginny Oberle ’14

Ginny Oberle

Hey all! My name is Virginia (Ginny) Oberle. I was born and raised in Winston-Salem, NC. I am a psychology major, with minors in public health, and women and gender studies. I am an Elon College Fellow also and in the process of finishing my undergraduate research now, focusing on sexual risk behaviors in emerging adult women. If research sounds boring to you, then you are right where I was four years ago. But once you give it a go, you will leave Elon with something of which you are immeasurably proud of! My favorite spot on campus is the bench by the performing arts department that overlooks Lake Mary Nell. I lived around there my freshman year and those are still some of my fondest memories.

I love intramural sports! I have played flag football, outdoor soccer, sand volleyball, 4×4 flag football, indoor soccer, wallyball and laser tag. Nothing beats free laser tag with your friends. Other hobbies include knitting (yup), Netflix, club soccer, SCANDAL, going to the gym, and chocolate cherry milkshakes from Cookout. If you have never had Cookout before, that should be a top priority when you visit campus! I am not kidding. I had the opportunity to study abroad in India last January, which was incredible. We rode overnight trains through southern India and took a roof-top yoga class. I came back with the best memories and the coolest pants!

I am so excited to be the spring intern for the Admissions office. I have loved being a tour guide for the past two years and am thankful for the opportunity to continue to work in the admissions office in a different capacity. I look forward to seeing some of you this spring whether you are visiting campus or here for an event weekend!

Katy Steele ’14

Katy Steele

Hey there! My name is Katy Steele and I am officially an Elon alumna! I came to Elon from Dayton, Ohio, back in 2011. I had earned enough transfer credits from AP courses in high school that I was able to  graduate a semester ahead in my college career. I have a degree in Journalism with minors in International Studies and Spanish, and am now lucky enough to spend the spring semester doing two internships: one as the Marketing Intern at United Way, and the other as one of the Spring Interns for Admissions!

Looking back, my time at Elon has grown me in ways that I never could have imagined. While in college, I became passionate about pursuing Spanish. I began a program through our campus Spanish Center that provided me with a $650 voucher toward a plane ticket to any Spanish-speaking country I chose. After completing the program I used my ticket to travel to a rural area of the Dominican Republic to serve as a videographer for a nonprofit, private school called Doulos Discovery. Read my recent blog post about my amazing experience in Jarabacoa. At Elon I perfected my Spanish, earned the plane ticket to travel abroad, and learned the video and communication skills necessary to tell good stories through videography.

I loved my trip serving abroad so much that now I can’t stop! In September I will be setting out to love and care for people around the world—from Cambodia, to Botswana, to Turkey, to Honduras—I will spend 11 months in 11 countries as a part of the World Race program. You can come along for the ride by following my blog. Until then, I am thrilled to continue being a part of the Elon family as a Spring Intern in Admissions!

This entry was posted in Admissions Staff, Student Life and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.