Why I Chose Elon: The Watson-Odyssey Program

As a Watson Scholar and a third year mentor for the Watson & Odyssey program, I have had the chance to see the program grow into what it is today. Watson & Odyssey is a need based scholarship that has allowed many of us to have the Elon experience we wished for.

The summer transition program gave me a solid support system that proved to be huge benefit throughout my 4 years here. I have a group of like minded scholars who I can depend on when needed most. Before coming to Elon University, I made it my goal to study abroad and experience another culture by being submerged in it rather than reading about it in a book during class. Thanks to the scholarship program I was able to live out my dream. Every year I am granted $21,000 towards my tuition and an extra $4,000 to study abroad. While at Elon, I have taken a service trip to the Dominican Republic and helped a family build a home in six days when it usually takes two weeks. I have also studied abroad in Florence, Italy where my classes were held in cathedrals, museums and on hill tops looking over Florence. As an Art major, studying in Florence, rich in art history, was something I never thought I would have the chance to do but thanks to Watson & Odyssey I was able to surpass my dreams and make my decision to choose Elon one I will always remember!

-Desmond Harrell ’15

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.