Advice from an Elon Senior: It’s a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Claire Bonnell ’14 was one of our Winter Term interns this past month. As WT ends and she is about to begin her last semester at Elon, she took some time to reflect on her experience but also provide some advice for high school students as they go through the college search process.

As I look back on my internship with the Office of Admissions, I consider this past month to be one full of growth and new lessons.  I have improved my public speaking skills, traveled to different places and met people at Elon that I otherwise would never have known. What stands out to me most is the commitment of the Elon staff. They take time to know their students and are passionate about helping others. Not a single student attends a presentation or tour, or applies to Elon without getting the attention they deserve. While it is always a celebration to find a student that the office knows will succeed at Elon (and who chooses to enroll), those who will not be a Phoenix are respected and cared for all the same.

My advice for the college search process? Remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. I remember my own college application experience and how urgent everything seemed. I suggest making a plan with realistic goals and sticking to it. Personally, I have observed so much unnecessary concern and urgency that can be remedied with smart planning and time management.

At the end of sophomore year, begin to think about what you are looking for in your future college or university. Pick a few different types of schools to check out. Think about location, public/private, large/small, their academic profile and possible programs offered. After viewing a few schools, you should be able to determine what aspects are most important to you in terms of location and size. From there, you can narrow your list even further based on your possible academic interests and career goals in junior year to see if those schools on your shorter list match up.

Once you decide what schools you are going to apply to, choose the appropriate application deadlines and plan accordingly. Be sure to research scholarship and financial aid deadlines. Waiting until the week they are due will create unnecessary stress. Get to know your counselors at both your high school and at the colleges you are applying for. Having a face to your name will help on both ends. Be thorough and thoughtful with each question you answer. Know that you are capable and smart and that what is meant to happen will. Be truthful to who you are and what you can both give and receive from the colleges you are considering. College admissions offices will consider your grades, test scores, interests, extracurricular activities and the person you are. When they decide to admit you, they are honored just as much as you are. Remember that! Your future college/university will be your home for four years so take time to think about where you fit. Being comfortable is so important. Trust your judgment.

Time seems to go by so fast so taking advantage of opportunities and working hard to reach your goals. Enjoy each day! Take a deep breath, it will all work out and one day you will be in my shoes, baffled that in a few short months, your entire collegiate experience will be complete.

This entry was posted in Admissions Staff, Applications, College Search Process and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.