A Day in the Life: University Guide

Happy Friday everyone! We thought a fun, “day in the life” post would be a nice touch for this beautiful fall morning. Vaughn Vreeland is one of our university guides and he wanted to write a quick post on his favorite part of Elon – being a tour guide! Our university guides have one of the most important roles on campus – helping to show our prospective visitors how they can bELONg on campus and if they can see our campus as a potential home for the next stage in their lives. Without further ado…

I’ll be honest. I’m not a morning person. However Elon makes waking up easier each and every day. I live in a 115-year-old yellow historic landmark that sits on the edge of campus. When I go out on my porch on a brisk morning, I see the golden sunlight that pierces the ancient oak trees across the railroad tracks. As cheesy as it sounds, I’m reminded how fortunate I am to have that view.

Before I go to work I make a pit stop at the Oak House coffee shop. I guess you could say it’s become somewhat of a routine. My favorite baristas typically already have my drink made for me before I get to the front of the line. Coffee for me is like drinking from the fountain of youth.

I start work every morning at 8 a.m. No, I’m not a workaholic. I don’t have a particular thirst for money and I’m not clinically insane. I just love my job. Fatigue and stress go out the window when I walk through the solid oak entrance of the Office of Admissions. If I could be an Elon tour guide for the rest of my life, I would.

While campus visits are a large part of the job, it’s not everything we do for admissions. Every day I help prospective students a variety of ways to help better prepare them for the college application process. Whether it’s answering phone calls or sending out information packets, the guides have got you covered.

I’ve made my best friends working in the admissions office. I cannot imagine my time at Elon without those wacky memories of my guide family, without the help of admissions staff or, most importantly, without those who have been on tour with me. It’s you all who make this job worth it. I am able to put my passion into words when I communicate my Elon Experience. For me, this isn’t a “job.” I have the privilege of talking about what I love and allowing others to maybe one day share in that happiness as well. Go Phoenix!

Vaughn - guide

This entry was posted in Admissions Staff, College Search Process, Student Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.